You will need a computer connected to the internet to do this sheet. Open this worksheet at
and click the links underlined below.
Refer to this tutorial on scientific notation.
1. What is the number of stars in the Andromeda galaxy in
a) standard notation?
b) scientific notation?
2. What is the mass of of an alpha particle, which is emitted in the radioactive decay of Plutonium-239?
For questions 4-6, use the Powers of Ten found on Earth/Sky - Scale of the Universe.
Metric prefixes all represent powers of ten and can be put in front of any word.
4. How many meters are in a kilometer as a
b. power of ten?
5. In "Back to the Future", a gigawatt lightning bolt played a big part in getting the time machine to work. How many watts are in a gigawatt as a
b. power of ten?
6. What is one word that would mean the same as
a. 1012 bulls
b. 106 phones
c. 101 cards
d. 109 lows
e. 10-12 boos
f. 2 X 103 mockingbirds
e. Make up one of your own!
You can practice scientific notation here before trying the following problems.
For questions 7-12, put each number into scientific notation.
7. 70,000,000 yr (how long ago the dinosaurs became extinct)
8. 299,800,000 m/s (the speed of light in a vacuum)
9. 0.0002778 h (the fraction of an hour in a second)
10. 15.8 h (the length of a day on Neptune in Earth hours)
11. 0.002 mm (the approximate length of a salmonella bacteria)
12. 0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 006 667 g (the mass of a helium atom>
For questions 13-18, write each of the numbers in decimal form.
13. 2 X 106 mites (the number of dust mites in an average bed)
14. 1.65 X 105 tons (the amount of potato chips sold annually in the UK)
15. 1.5 X 10-5 m (the diameter of an average grain of sand>
16. 4 X 101 mph (the average speed of a sneeze)
17. 6.5 X 10-7 m (the wavelength of red light)
18. 5.9 X 109 km (the average distance of Pluto from the sun)